Thanksgiving is one of the busiest travel weeks of the year. I’m hitting the road after work myself on Wednesday. I’ve just accepted that it will be hectic and that stressing about it will only make it feel worse. I may not be able to control traffic or crowds, but I can plan my meals to make good use of the odds and ends in the fridge. Using up all the perishables before a trip is oddly satisfying. Here are a few of my favorite things to make when trying to clear out the refrigerator:
- Kitchen-sink salads with all kinds ingredients—Let your tastes buds (and what’s available) be your guide.
- Omelets—I’ve thrown in everything from last-legs greens, grilled chicken, and roasted vegetables. Have fun coming up with new combos.
- Soup—Great for using up vegetables. You can always freeze leftovers.
- Quiche—Another great use for veggies and eggs that you can freeze if you like.
- Stir-Fry or Pasta—Never underestimate the power of leftover noodles and veggies.
- Smoothies—Throw in whatever damn fruit and/or veggies you have on hand with some yogurt or milk.
Check out some of my other favorites on my Recipe page. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some oats to pour into that almost-empty peanut butter jar. Breakfast is served.
Are you traveling for Thanksgiving? What do you eat when you need to clean out the fridge?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.