It’s a long story, but my family celebrated Father’s Day twice this year. I wrote about Part 1 last week, and then I went out again this past weekend to hang with my parents and the fur family while my sister was out with her fiancé and his folks in northern California. Oh my gosh—her photos made me want to move out there. Were it not for my love of NYC cynicism and public transportation, I’d seriously consider it.

Anyway, it may not have been as consistently sunny in New Jersey, we had a nice time. For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you already saw that Eli probably had the best time of all. The little dude could not settle down for bed on Saturday night, but then he finally crashed out with his little bichon body smooshed up against me. He always wakes me up at 5:05 when I’m there by sticking his little wet nose up against mine. Just like the old days when he lived with me in the city. Dogs are so weird—I love it.

We didn’t do anything big or crazy over the weekend—my mom and I worked out with Dana from Jersey Women Strong —my sister loves her bootcamp!— and we enjoyed a chill yoga class. My cousins and their kids came over for a laid-back brunch on Sunday afternoon. Life has been just bats*** crazy lately, so it was a nice chance to relax and spend time together. I felt a little guilty about having to bring work with me, but for whatever weird reason, I do some of my best writing while standing typing on my laptop at my parents’ kitchen counter. I used to be embarrassed of my weird “standing while writing” habit, but then I saw a picture of Bob Dylan doing it back in the day and didn’t feel so bad anymore ; )

Anyway, here’s the “what I ate” part of the weekend:

Sunday morning I actually had dinner leftovers for breakfast: Dover sole and grilled asparagus over arugula, tomato, avocado, and a few pieces of roasted sweet potato. It was so random but hit the spot.


Sunday morning yoga ended at 11:30, and then our family was coming over at 1, so I had a quick snack of cheddar slices and a few strawberries to tide me over.


By the time we actually got around to eating it was more like 2 and more of a snack-y kind of meal. I had lox, some mozzarella and tomato salad, hummus and carrots, and a lot of strawberries from the farmer’s market. I also drank a lot of seltzer. I always clean out my parents’ La Croix supply.


Late in the afternoon I had a glass of prosecco and then dinner was early. My dad really wanted Chinese food, so we got takeout from a place a few towns over we’d never tried before. I had some scallops and sautéed veggies. And by veggies, I mean, like, a pound of broccoli. Chinese food usually makes my stomach hurt, but I was actually okay after this.



By the time I actually got back to the city and started unpacking and doing a mini food-prep for Monday and ran some last-minute errands because I was too antsy to call it a night, it was almost 9 and my stomach was growling, so I had some plain Greek yogurt with a spoonful of sunbutter before starting to wind down for bed.


Does your family ever break up holiday celebrations into multiple days? What was the best thing you ate last weekend?


To see more WIAW, check out founder Jenn’s blog Peas & Crayons or visit hosts Laura and Arman‘s blogs.

**This post may contain affiliate links.

Hungry for more?

Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.

Powered by ConvertKit