Hey, happy Monday! Hope your day is going well so far. For anyone who might already be looking forward to Happy Hour (if you are, you’re in good company!), today I’m linking up with the Recipe ReDux to share a low-cal cocktail recipe that’s perfect for summer.
That’s right, I said “summer.” With Memorial Day, the unofficial kickoff of the season, coming up next week, I think it’s a great time to talk about summer cocktails ; )
There’s nothing quite like enjoying a beautiful evening outdoors sipping a tasty adult beverage in the company of your nearest & dearest—or meeting new people who may or may not become near & dear. Of course, it’s important to practice moderation. If you’re, like, “Wtf does ‘moderately’ mean,” the CDC lays it out accordingly:
- Up to 1 alcoholic drink per day for women
- Up to 2 alcoholic drinks per day for men
A standard drink is equal to 14.0 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol. Generally, this amount of pure alcohol is found in
- 12-ounces of beer (5% alcohol content).
- 8-ounces of malt liquor (7% alcohol content).
- 5-ounces of wine (12% alcohol content).
- 1.5-ounces or a “shot” of 80-proof (40% alcohol content) distilled spirits or liquor (e.g., gin, rum, vodka, whiskey).
Then there’s that annoying fact that alcohol contributes calories that likely go down pretty easy without making us feel any more full.
All the more reason you want to make sure that you’re enjoying what’s in your glass! This low-calorie sipper is packed with flavor, thanks to a kick from ginger juice. I love gin in the summer, but if it’s not your thing, feel free to sub in vodka or tequila.
Low-Cal Ginger Cocktail
- 1 oz gin
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Juice6 oz club soda
- Combine gin, lime juice, and ginger juice. Can be shaken with ice or stirred.
- Pour over ice and top with club soda. Stir to mix.
What’s your favorite summer drink?
To see more RD-approved cocktails, check out my post from the other day.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy hummus?
The Recipe ReDux is a monthly recipe challenge founded by registered dietitians that aims to inspire the food lover in every healthy eater and inspire the healthy eater in every food lover.
**This post may contain affiliate links. FYI— I wasn’t paid by any of the companies in the picture above. That’s just what is in my kitchen that I bought with my own money.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.