July 26th is National Coffee Milkshake Day. Last year I posted this recipe to the Valley Breast Center Instagram to celebrate, and it was really popular! One patient even said to me, “I wasn’t so sure about working with a dietitian [because I didn’t want all my favorite foods taken away], but then I saw this post and thought, ‘I think this is going to be fine.’”
Celebrate with this healthy smoothie that doubles as your caffeine fix (though you can totally do decaf—I usually do). Rather than making it with all water or plant milk, swap in some cold brew for the liquid base.
What makes this healthy is its satisfying combo of protein, healthy fat, and fiber, and the fact that it’s free from added sugar or artificial sweeteners. The frozen cauliflower in this is totally optional, but it lends a super-creamy texture (think: Wendy’s Frosty) that makes this more milkshake-like. If you like a thinner consistency, simply add more liquid.
Coffee Milkshake Smoothie
- ½-¾ cup cold brew coffee or chilled coffee
- ¼-½ cup unsweetened milk of choice
- ½ a frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower or frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite nut or seed butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 scoop of protein powder or choice (I love this one)
- Place ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Variations: make it a mocha with a tablespoon of cocoa or cacao powder. Want to get your greens in? A handful of baby spinach won’t change the flavor much but will add a green tint.
This post may contain a few affiliate links.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.