While I’m not promoting eating to cope with emotions, fueling yourself with the right foods can help you combat stress and anxiety. In the spirit of this week’s full moon and all the craziness it’s brought with it (for me, anyway, hope your week is going more smoothly), here’s an article from Women’s Health about soothing foods.
Some of my favorites on the list?
- Almonds are rich in immune-boosting vitamin E and B vitamins. Almond butter counts.
- Avocados—Aside from being creamy and satisfying, they’re high in monounsaturated fat and potassium, which can reduce blood pressure.
- Oatmeal—Slow-burning carbohydrates make the most of the serotonin they prompt your brain to make.
- Dark chocolate also stimulates serotonin production. Why not add a few dark chocolate chips to those oats? Quicker serotonin release plus slowly-digested fiber will keep you feeling satisfied and upbeat.
- Oranges—high in immunity-promoting vitamin C
- Salmon—Omega 3 fatty acids help regulate hormones (like cortisol and adrenaline) and prevent crazy-making spikes.
- Spinach—Magnesium in spinach can help lower stress in the body. Not getting enough of this mineral may even trigger headaches and fatigue, which are not your friends during trying times!
I’ve got the oats and almonds covered so far today and am making a shopping list for the rest of the week. Thank god it’s Wednesday already!