I love sharing recipes on my blog because it allows me to connect with you over one of my favorite things: really good food! The recipe below is part of my plant-based meals arsenal, which I love to make part of my weekly routine. I tend to eat plant-based lunches made with beans, tofu, or tempeh as my protein source and then have animal protein at dinner with my family since there is more common ground in regards to what everybody enjoys there.
Eating more plant-based meals has been associated with many health benefits such as boosting the immune system, reducing inflammation, helping to maintain a healthy weight, increasing fiber intake, and reducing cancer risk, just to name a few. Because plants are high in fiber, it can aid in digestive function and help lower cholesterol and stabilize blood sugar. My patients often ask for recipe ideas to help make meatless meals more approachable, and this Easy Garlic & Herb Tempeh recipe is one of my favorite ways to enjoy tempeh.
Tempeh is made of fermented soy, often combined with grains added. It’s super versatile when it comes to how you prepare and serve it. I’ve found that it’s equally yummy sliced, crumbled, or cut into cubes or triangles and baked, grilled, sauteed, stir-fried, etc.— there are so many variations!
This recipe brings me back to my adolescence, when I first tried tempeh. I was eleven or twelve years old and curious to try tempeh to see what it was all about. You don’t have to be vegetarian or vegan to enjoy plant-based proteins (I’m not)—you can simply enjoy tempeh for what it is: a tasty and healthy food.
Tempeh is packed with some awesome health benefits; not only is it a plant protein, but it’s also a complete protein (meaning it has all nine essential amino acids we need to get from food) and it also has fiber. You might notice that tempeh has a slight tangy flavor, so you’ll see in the recipe that I steam it before tossing the marinade which allows it to better absorb the seasonings and also helps temper its tang. The red wine vinegar also helps offset the tanginess.
Enjoy this over salad or with your favorite veggies.
Easy Garlic & Herb Tempeh
- 1 8-ounce package of unflavored tempeh
- Water for steaming
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Dash of sea salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- To steam the tempeh, bring water to a boil and place the tempeh in a steamer basket over the water. Cover the pot and steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the remaining ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl to make your marinade.
- When the tempeh is cool enough to handle, cut it into 1-inch cubes and toss with the marinade until well coated. Allow to marinate for at least an hour in the fridge.
- When you’re ready to cook the tempeh, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the tempeh cubes on top.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, until the tempeh is browned and crispy on the edges.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.