I have a friend who calls August The Deep End of Summer. It’s not over yet, though! When it comes to summer produce, especially, there are still lots of delicious fruits and veggies in season. I’ve especially been loving making the most of summer blueberries and zucchini.
This recipe was sparked by sheer curiosity. I wondered what would happen if I cooked blueberries and zucchini together. Turned out to be awesome. I topped my bowl with peanut butter the first time I made it, but it’s also great with tahini! You could also add some chopped nuts or hemp seeds on top if the nut butter thing just isn’t for you.
Blueberry Zucchini Oats
- 1/3 c oats
- 1 c water (more if needed)
- 1/2 cup finely grated zucchini (more is ok too)
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup egg whites (optional)
- Bring water to a boil. Add oats, flax, cinnamon.
- Reduce heat and add berries and zucchini. Stir frequently. Allow to cook until liquid is absorbed and banana and zucchini is soft. In the last two minutes, add vanilla.
- Add egg white and stir vigorously 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat. Cover pot with a lid and allow to sit 5 minutes.
- Enjoy warm.
What’s your favorite thing about August?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.