I’ve noticed that when the temperatures drop, I start to wake up craving savory foods with a lot of spice to them—and vegetables. Since I believe that cravings can be our body’s way of telling us what it needs. It makes perfect sense to me that my tastes would change with the seasons. Warming spices like ginger and turmeric also start showing up a lot more.
I’ve certainly posted pictures of savory oatmeal before, but it’s about time I included a recipe! It’s not any different from how you’d prepare sweet oatmeal, really—just the spices and add-ins change a bit. Here’s a recent favorite, which uses grated zucchini and spinach to add a dose of green to your morning meal.
- ~1 cup water
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 c liquid egg whites or 1 egg (optional)
- Bring water to a boil. Stir in oats, flax, and spices. Lower heat.
- Add zucchini and spinach. Cook ~5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- When water is almost all absorbed, add the egg whites and whisk 2-3 minutes.
- Cover pot with a lid for ~5 minutes.
- Enjoy hot.
You can eat this as is, but it’s also wonderful with a spoonful of tahini on top for added flavor and satiating fat. I haven’t tried making this ahead of time and reheating later, but that’s on the experiment list for this week!
Do you prefer savory or sweet breakfast? What breakfast are you loving lately?
PS—You may have noticed I finally alphabetized my Recipes page to make it easier to find what you’re looking for. More exciting changes coming soon!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.