Happy Meatless Monday! I am still loving this fall weather. My younger self who didn’t understand the magic of boots, scarves, or cute sweaters, is totally laughing at me right now, but all I can say is thank goodness I finally came around. And started blow-drying my hair on the regular. No wonder 20-year-old Jess was cold all the time—her freaking hair was always wet!
Today I’ve got a vegan chili recipe for you that’s perfect for those blustery days. It’s also perfect comfort food for anyone who’s stressing about this week’s election! It comes together in a half-hour and features red lentils, pumpkin, and salsa. Enjoy!
Tempeh Red Lentil Pumpkin Chili (vegan)
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 block tempeh, crumbled or cut into small chunks
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 container salsa
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add lentils and water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover. Cook on low for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Uncover lentils and add tempeh and turmeric. Stir well to combine.
- Add pumpkin and salsa. Stir well. Bring to a boil and then lower heat. Simmer chili on medium-low for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information per serving (about 1 1/2 cups chili): 345 calories, 10 grams fat (1 gram saturated), 21 grams fiber, 365 milligrams sodium, 207 milligrams potassium, 25 grams protein, 278% vitamin A, 36% vitamin C, 8% calcium, 30% iron
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.