This morning I’ve got a healthy breakfast for you. I’ve been making it so often lately, I couldn’t believe I didn’t have a recipe up! A few weeks ago I posted my favorite sautéed mushroom recipe. Cooked mushrooms are one of my favorite things to eat on top of savory oatmeal.
I know I said this was a breakfast recipe, but it’s also delicious for lunch or dinner. I like to add a bunch of savory spices, but you can easily do a simpler version with just a little pepper and sea salt to taste. You can also apt in or out of using the grated zucchini. I’m a fan because it’s a delicious way to volume and nutrients without adding a ton of extra calories. Also, you don’t have to add the goat cheese and tahini on top, but I highly recommend it for adding some filling fat and satisfying flavor. Enjoy!
Savory Mushroom Oat Bowl
- ~1 cup water
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small zucchini, grated (optional)
- 1 cup spinach (optional)
- 1/4 c liquid egg whites or 1 egg (optional)
- 1 cup cooked mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon tahini (optional)
- Bring water to a boil. Stir in oats, flax, and spices. Lower heat.
- Add zucchini and spinach, if using. Cook ~5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- When water is almost all absorbed, add the egg whites and whisk 2-3 minutes.
- Cover pot with a lid for ~5 minutes.
- Remove cover and pour oats into a bowl. Top with cooked mushrooms, goat cheese, and tahini.
Do you ever make savory oatmeal? What’s your favorite breakfast lately?
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.