Happy Monday! Hope you had a great weekend. I’ve got a new recipe to share with you today that I posted a few weeks ago for What I Ate Wednesday.
Anyway, yes. This recipe may seem like more of a cool weather meal, but with these spring evenings still on the cool side, it makes an easy weeknight dinner. I feel like rice and pasta get all the love sometimes, but there are so many other options out there. Red lentils, for example, are packed with fiber and protein and cook up quickly—who doesn’t love that?
This dish features a flavorful tomato sauce with lots of paprika plus mushrooms and spinach. Want to make this Meatless Monday-friendly? Simply leave out the chicken chorizo or swap in your favorite meat-free substitute.
- 1/2 cup red lentils, dry
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 1 link chicken chorizo (I like this one), cooked and sliced into half-moons
- 1/4 c feta
- 2 eggs
- In a small saucepan, combine red lentils and water. Bring to a boil then cover and lower heat. Simmer for ~15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté shallot until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3o seconds.
- Add mushrooms. Sauté until just beginning to soften. Add red wine. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Once alcohol has cooked down to about half the volume, add the tomatoes and spices.
- Allow to cook ~10 minutes and then add the spinach. Cook until spinach has wilted. Add chorizo if using. Cook another 5 minutes on low.
- Divide red lentils between two large bowls. Pour tomato and mushroom mixture on top and garnish with feta. Top each bowl with a poached egg if desired.
What are some of your favorite weeknight dinners?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.