I know they get a lot of negative press, but carbohydrates—yes, even grains—can play an important role in a healthy diet. Oats are among my favorite “good” carbs because aside from providing energy, they promote good digestion, boost serotonin levels, and help protect your heart. Certain times of the month, especially, for all my ladies out there, a comforting bowl of oats provides good relief from hormone-related energy dips, mood swings and GI disturbances.
- 1/3 c rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c blueberries, divided
- 2/3 c unsweetened coconut milk (or other milk of choice, or water)
- 1/3 c liquid egg whites
- 1/2 -1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp jelly
- Mix oats, flax, cinnamon, vanilla, and 1/4 c blueberries in a microwave-safe bowl. Add milk and egg whites. Stir well.
- Heat in 1-minute intervals (probably 3-4), stirring each time, until oats are fluffy and all liquid has been absorbed. Be mindful that overcooking will lead to a spongey, almost bread-like bowl of oatmeal.
- Top with peanut butter and jelly and the rest of the blueberries.
Feel free to sub any other kind of but butter for the PB or any other berry you like if blueberries aren’t your thing.