It happens to all of us. You’ve set your goal, are excited to tackle it and then, after a bit of time, you realize you’ve lost your motivation and are feeling totally bummed for not having made the progress you hoped you would. Whether you’re working on improving your relationship with food, developing an exercise routine, incorporating meditation into your life, preparing to start a family, or pursuing a new career, it’s not uncommon to feel enthusiasm towards your goal wane. Finding that lost motivation can be a difficult task for anybody. Whether you’re struggling to stay positive and motivated, are feeling frustrated by the challenges you’re facing or are tired of living in a plateau-like atmosphere, we’ve all been there. In fact, this is something I help my clients work through regularly.
So how do you get back on track and replenish the passion you once felt running through your veins? Sometimes a clean slate and a new approach are what we need to regain focus and feel revitalized. Here are some ideas to rekindle your motivation:
Remember why you started. Think about what originally motivated you to set your goal – perhaps a quote or an emotion – and revisit it. Ultimately, the reason you set out to achieve your goal is bound to be bigger than the reason to give up.
- Try something new and, if necessary, set a new goal. This might seem antithetical to regaining motivation, but sometimes stepping away and focusing on something new will help you find your enthusiasm again. Think about making your new goal specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, timely, and fun! SMART AF.
- Regain perspective. When you’re feeling down, think about how you felt before you took on your goal. For example, how did your body feel before you began eating healthfully or exercising regularly? Acknowledge the progress you’ve made.
- Call in reinforcements. Turn to your support system – your friends, family, co-workers, etc. – for encouragement. Oftentimes they’re the people best suited to remind you why you originally set out to accomplish your goal.
- Touch base with an expert. If you’ve hit a plateau and aren’t sure how to progress, call in expert help. A trainer, dietitian or therapist can be a great resource to help you make tweaks to optimize the good habits you already have in place and introduce some new tips and tricks to get you moving in the direction you want.
- Be social and partner with a buddy. Having an accountability buddy is a great way to regain motivation; when you know someone is counting on you to show up, asking if you’re staying on task, encouraging you, etc., you’re more likely to follow through.
- Foster a positive mindset. Regularly look at a photo of yourself where you look (and felt) super happy. Cultivating a feel-good mindset is a great way to allow positive vibes to trickle into all aspects of your life.
- Be kind to yourself. It’s normal to fall off track and we’re often way too hard on ourselves when we get derailed. When you feel frustrated, disappointed, and guilty, remember to show yourself kindness. Think about how you’d encourage a friend in your situation and talk to yourself as you would to them.
- Think outside the box. Is there a different approach you can take towards achieving your goal? For example, do you find yourself running along the same route or eating the same veggies? Sometimes mixing things up can be just what you need to feel refreshed and return to your goal with excitement.
I hope these tips help you rekindle motivation to stay on track with your goals! I’d love to chat with you about your health and fitness — click here to book a free consult call.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.