We usually think of blueberries as a summer treat, but you can enjoy them all year round. Just check your freezer aisle for wild blueberries. What’s the difference between regular and wild blueberries? Wild blueberries, which primarily grow naturally in Maine and Eastern Canada, have a more intense sweet-meets-tart flavor, thanks to their genetic diversity.
They also provide 72% more fiber and 32% less sugar. They also have twice the level of antioxidants than larger cultivated blueberries. Almost all wild blueberries are frozen, and quick-freezing them at their peak freshness locks in that awesome flavor and nutrient content. Talk about a great way to add some summer brightness to the chill of late fall and winter.
This breakfast cake is super-easy to make in the microwave in a ramekin, mug, bowl, or other glass container. In a season full of sugary treats, it’s the perfect way to start your morning off on solid ground. It’s high in fiber and protein, low in sugar, and happens to be gluten-free and Paleo-friendly. Enjoy it by yourself or make extras for any cave-dwelling holiday guests. Enjoy!
Microwave Wild Blueberry Coconut Breakfast Cake
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- Dash salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- optional ½ – 1 tsp sweetener of choice (honey, maple syrup, stevia extract, etc)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 egg or 3 tbsp liquid egg white
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup frozen wild blueberries
- Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
- Mix wet ingredients except blueberries and set aside.
- Add wet to dry ingredients. Mix well until batter is smooth. Fold in blueberries. Pour into microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave in 30-second increments until set. Will likely take 5-6 minutes total.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- You can eat out of the bowl or allow cake to cool for a few minutes and then turn upside down onto a plate. Garnish with coconut flakes.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy blueberries?
Disclosure: This recipe is part of a Recipe ReDux contest sponsored by the Wild Blueberry Association of North America. I was not compensated for my time, but by sharing this recipe, I am entering into a contest to win a monetary prize.