Soup is one of my favorite winter meals, and I’ve come to really enjoy dedicating part of my Sunday afternoons to making soups I can eat during the week to simplify weeknight cooking. Lately, I’ve been making this Chickpea Pasta Minestrone, which I like to serve with a salad or cooked veggies for an easy Meatless Monday dinner. I also love having a bowl for lunch — it really is that good!
This Chickpea Pasta Minestrone is hearty and nourishing. It’s packed with vitamins and minerals, and it’s also a great plant-based meal that’s very satisfying thanks to the extra fiber and protein in the chickpea pasta. It also happens to be gluten-free, so if you or a loved one is adhering to a gluten-free diet, this soup is a great option!
Chickpea Pasta Minestrone
- -1 tablespoon olive oil
- -1 small onion, diced
- -2 celery stalks, diced
- -1 carrot, peeled and diced
- -1 medium zucchini or summer squash, chopped
- -2 garlic cloves, minced
- -1 teaspoon dried oregano
- -1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- -½ teaspoon dried thyme
- -½ teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- -salt and pepper to taste
- -¼ cup tomato paste
- -1 28-oz can of diced tomatoes
- -1 can kidney beans
- -6-8 cups vegetable broth
- -1.5 cups chickpea pasta shells or elbow shaped pasta
- -Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- -Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- -Add onion, celery, carrot, and zucchini. Cook about 5 minutes or until the veggies begin to soften.
- -Add garlic and cook for about a minute, until fragrant.
- -Add spices, tomato paste, tomato, and beans, stirring well to combine.
- -Add broth and stir well. Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cool for 20 minutes.
- -Add the pasta and allow to cook, uncovered, for another 15 minutes.
- -Serve hot and garnish your bowl with Parmesan if desired.
Note: You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to five days or for 3-6 months in the freezer. When reheating, you may need additional water or broth, as the pasta soaks up liquid.
For a plant-based cheese substitute, you can swap in nutritional yeast.