Breadcrumbs are one of those things I just never have in the house. I’ve got miso paste and nutritional yeast, and all manner of seeds and other seemingly weird or obscure s***, but this staple ingredient is just that thing I always put on my list for a recipe and then get to the store and say, “Meh.”
The main reason? I’ve found that flax, hemp seeds, and are great substitutes in a lot of recipes. No breadcrumbs? No problem! This recipe also works really well as a gluten-free option that doesn’t require shelling out your hard-earned dollars for GF breadcrumbs or putting in the time to make your own from scratch.
- 8 oz fillet fluke, rinsed & patted dry
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Oil spray or olive oil to grease pan
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- Garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking pan.
- Place fish in baking pan. Pour lemon juice on top.
- In a small bowl, mix flax, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Top fish with flax mixture. Bake until fish is opaque and flakes with a fork, about 10-12 minutes.
Do you cook with breadcrumbs? Any cool breadcrumb substitutes you use?
PS: It’s not too late to enter my Chia Warrior Bar giveaway. Details here.