As I think about what I’ll eat in the week ahead, I always make sure to include a few plant-based meals scattered throughout. These meals consist mostly of plants (vegetables, whole grains, beans, fruits, seeds and nuts) and play an important role in improving gut health, supporting the immune system, reducing inflammation, maintaining a healthy weight, and reducing the risk of developing cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and some mental health illnesses.
If you’re looking for some plant-based recipe inspiration, I think you’ll love this one. Not only are these Easy Spiced Chickpea Patties super tasty, but they’re also a great plant-based protein option that’s high in fiber and also contains anti-inflammatory herb turmeric. These patties are easy and enjoyable to make too! I’ve been enjoying them crumbled into salads with cauliflower rice and roasted veggies, and then adding hummus and goat cheese, but they would also be delicious in a sandwich or grain bowl.
Easy Spiced Chickpea Patties
- Olive oil spray
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or legume-based rice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place chickpeas, peas, egg, oil, lemon juice, and spices in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Fold in the rice. If desired, you can pulse a bit more to smooth the texture.
- Lightly spritz parchment paper. Then, using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop 16 mounds of batter onto the baking sheet. Flatten each with the back of a fork.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
I hope you enjoy these Easy Spiced Chickpea Patties as much as I do!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.