Cold mornings call for hot breakfasts. Since it’s been a really long time since I’ve shared a new oatmeal recipe, I thought I’d post a recent favorite I’ve been enjoying now that it’s cranberry season. This is packed with filling fiber and protein to keep you satisfied all morning and boasts a hefty dose of vitamins A and C, plus some omega-3s in the flax.
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 tsp each cinnamon, clove, ginger)
- 1/4 c pumpkin puree
- 1/2 c cranberries, rinsed
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c liquid egg whites (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a small sauce pot.
- Add oats, flax, spices, pumpkin, and cranberry. Stir well and lower heat to medium-low.
- Allow to cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan, until almost all liquid has been absorbed.
- Mix in vanilla and allow to cook another minute before adding the egg white, if using.
- Stir vigorously for 4 or 5 minutes until oats are fluffy. Cover and turn off heat. Allow to sit about 5 minutes before pouring into a bowl.
- Enjoy warm and topped with your favorite toppings sauce as cranberry sauce and/or nut butter.
What’s your favorite breakfast these days?