I love re-imagining sandwiches in other forms. Take my beloved burger salad, for example.
I also love falafel over salad instead of in a pita. Or doing turkey and cheese over greens instead of between bread. Tuna or egg salad over greens? Love. Different side of the same coin: Taco-Inspired Oatmeal and Cauliflower Rice Taco Bowls.
A Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato sandwich (BLT) totally hits the flavor spot sometimes, but it’s not likely to keep you satisfied for long, especially if it’s made the traditional way, on white bread with mayo and just a little of the L & T. Bacon is tasty but not especially in protein either, so you might find your stomach growling within an hour of lunch.
This re-imagined recipe let’s you enjoy the classic flavor you love with a superfood boost, thanks to the addition of kale and avocado. Adding chicken also gives this more staying power, but feel free to swap in chickpeas if preferred.
Hope you enjoy!
Avocado BLT Kale Salad
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 1/3 avocado, sliced
- 1 slice cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 ounces cooked chicken, chopped
- Whisk together oil and vinegar. With clean hands, massage kale with dressing until it begins to soften. Let sit for five minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss massaged kale with remaining ingredients until well combined.
What’s your favorite sandwich?
**This post may contain affiliate links.