I love how arbitrary food holidays can seem. For example, I found out recently that my birthday is National Mousse Cake Day. Um, party on.
Blueberries are one of my favorite summer superfoods. They’re packed with fiber (4 grams per cup), vitamin C, and antioxidants. They’re also pretty darn delicious, and can be used in all kinds of recipes: smoothies, yogurt parfaits, salads, sauces, pies, muffins, breads, oatmeal, and even frozen desserts, just to name a few. Since they’re picked at the peak of freshness, frozen blueberries are a great off-season alternative so you can still get your fix.
I went snooping around the interwebs for some (mostly) healthy blueberry recipes for you guys.
- Cooking Light‘s “Royal Blueberry” Gazpacho with Lemon and Mint. This would be really fun for brunch!
- Cooking Light‘s Chicken-Fruit Salad. This reminds me of an old Panera favorite. I wish I lived closer to one. I would totally go there all the time. Panera is one of my not-so-guilty, not-so-secret chain restaurant pleasures.
- Eating Well‘s Spinach Salad with Steak and Blueberries. Yes, please.
- Eating Well‘s Teriyaki Pork Chops with Blueberry-Ginger Relish. Love this idea!
- Eating Well‘s Filet Mignon with Blueberry-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce. So many things I like in one dish!
- Eating Well‘s Mini Blueberry-Lemon Cheesecakes. Too cute.
- Ellie Krieger’s Buckwheat Blueberry Pancakes. So “Sunday morning”…
- My own Quick & Easy PB & J oatmeal. One of my go-to quick breakfasts.
*July is also National Baked Bean Month and National Bison Month, but it’s too damn hot for me to want to think about cooking meat or beans.
What are your favorite blueberry recipes?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.