Yesterday was my friends Anders and Carrie’s wedding. It seems like they got engaged just yesterday, but it was actually three years ago to the wedding date! It’s crazy how much has changed in those three years—it made for catching up with old friends especially fun. From the hair & makeup prep with the other bridesmaids to almost crying my eyes out when Carrie walked down the aisle (to the song “For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her,” one of my all-time favorites) to dancing my ass off and taking countless pictures at the reception, I had a great time.
Some people find special occasions intimidating, especially when it comes to food, travel, and other things that come with big events. Here are a few tips for reducing stress and upping the enjoyment factor:
- If exercising chills you out and energizes you, fit in a quick morning workout. You’ll be glad you did.
- Eat breakfast. It may be a long time before you eat. Shoot for a mix of complex carbs, protein, and healthy fats.
- Pack snacks. A piece of fruit, baby carrots and some nuts or a granola bar are easy to take along. V8 Juice is also great if you’re into that kind of thing like I am.
- Smile. Laugh. Dance. Don’t worry so much about your hair or makeup.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Drink plenty of water to balance out the caffeine and alcohol.
- Fill up on veggies.
- Remember, cake is almost always worth saving room for : )
Depending on how much you drank, the next-day detox is a whole other post unto itself. The short version?
- fruits, veggies, and other fiber-rich foods
This year alone, I have seven weddings on my calendar. One down, six to go. Unless I forgot one…
Hope you had a good weekend!
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.