Good morning! Today I’ve got a fun breakfast recipe I think you’ll really dig. When I found out this month’s Recipe ReDux theme was savory breakfast, I was excited to start brainstorming. A non-sweet breakfast is actually the norm for me. Back when I was working long days in the hospital, I found that a savory morning meal held me over much longer, and I kept the habit up because it turns out staying power is handy for all walks of life and work.
Aside from being damn delicious, I find a savory breakfast helps keep my blood sugar stable for longer, as I don’t experience a sharp spike, followed by a crash. This skillet pizza is a grain-free take on breakfast pizza that will keep you energized all morning.
Sweet Potato Skillet Breakfast Pizza
For the crust:
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 egg or 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- Oil or butter or cooking oil spray for skillet
- 1 egg
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup roasted brussels sprouts or other vegetables (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese
- Prick the potato with a fork a few times and steam in the microwave for 5 or 6 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool until you can safely handle and scoop out the potato flesh into a food processor.
- Pulse the potato with the egg until it forms a batter.
- Grease skillet with oil, butter, or spray and turn on heat (medium). Pour the crust batter into the skillet. Cook until set, flipping halfway. Transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, toss the arugula with vegetables, oil, lemon juice, and cheese until well coated. Pour greens mixture over crust.
- Regrease the skillet if needed. Cook egg as desired.
- Top pizza with egg. Serve immediately.
What’s your go-to breakfsat?
The Recipe ReDux is a monthly recipe challenge founded by registered dietitians that aims to inspire the food lover in every healthy eater and inspire the healthy eater in every food lover.
***This post may contain affiliate links.