To anyone who refuses to believe that lentils, brown rice, and veggies can fill you up:
Make this and call me in the morning.
Packed with protein, fiber, and vitamins A and C, and iron, this dish will keep you going for hours. This recipe serves one, but it can be easily doubled, tripled, or quadrupled.
- 1/4 c dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 c tomato sauce (I used homemade, but jarred or just canned diced/crushed tomato is ok too)
- lots of turmeric
- powdered ginger, to taste
- red pepper flakes
- as much chili powder as you can stand
- a dash of cinnamon
- garam masala (optional)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/3-1/2 c cooked brown rice (optional)
- goat cheese or plain yogurt for garnish (optional)
- Combine lentils and sweet potatoes in a saucepan with about 1-1.5 c water. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in spices and lower heat. Cover and allow to simmer about 20 minutes, or until lentils become tender and sweet potato is soft.
- Add tomato sauce and allow to cook on low for another 10-15 minutes. Adjust spices if needed.
- Stir in brown rice if using until well combined.
- Serve hot and garnish with goat cheese or yogurt, if desired.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.