Good morning! Can you believe it’s mid-September already? Whenever I start writing about time, I feel like we’re talking in an elevator or something—want to talk about the weather too, while we’re at it?
Actually, talking about the weather is totally appropriate here because as we start looking ahead to the fall season and cooler weather, that brings a whole bunch of new foods and flavors to the table. After a summer of cold stuff, hot breakfast becomes more appealing to a lot of us again. Or maybe for some of us, it never left. Raise you’re hand if you’re another one of those people who has no problem eating oatmeal in the summertime. Are we weird?
If weird is this delicious, though, why be normal?
Though I have been eating this for breakfast for weeks, you can enjoy it for lunch or dinner instead. Also, while this recipe makes 4 servings( either for your whole family to enjoy together or so you can have leftovers for a few days), you can easily scale up or down to suit your needs.
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
Spiced Savory Oats with Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive or sunflower oil
- sea salt to taste
- ~4 cups water or combination of water and milk
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- ¼ cup ground flax
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika plus more for garnish
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup liquid egg whites or 4 eggs (optional)
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss cauliflower with oil and sea salt and place on a baking sheet. Roast until cauliflower is crispy (about 30-40 minute), shaking pan a few times. Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil. Stir in oats, flax, and spices. Lower heat.
- Add zucchini. Cook ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- When water is almost all absorbed, add the eggs or whites (if using) and whisk 2-3 minutes.
- Cover pot with a lid for ~5 minutes.
- Divide between four bowls. Top each bowl with cauliflower, a spoonful of yogurt, and paprika.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.