After a weekend of wedding festivities, Sunday night was all about catching up on work and playing the “What’s left in the fridge?” game. Dinner actually came together pretty well: homemade seitan with roasted sweet potato, roasted onion, and corn cut off the cob and tossed with a little salt, pepper and sour cream. Chris also made a vegan gravy to go with the seitan.
We were trying to come up with a better name for it than just “seitan,” but somehow Vegetarian Turkey Steak or Log-Roasted Wheat Gluten Fillet just sound too weird.
Anyway…here’s the gravy recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp vegetable stock or ½ bouillon cube dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1.5 tsp corn starch
- ~1/4 c unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- In a small saucepan, mix olive oil, broth/bouillon and corn. Once well mixed and warm, add soy milk, a little at a time and whisk.
- Bring to a boil then turn down heat and allow to simmer for five minutes
- Add nutritional yeast and stir. Serve immediately.