Having taken the week off (sort of ), I’ve had lots of time for trying out new dishes. After I finished the writing assignments I had to get squared away this afternoon, I hit up the market for ingredients to make a roasted corn & black bean salad. I’ve been craving fresh corn since seeing it at the store the other day, so I was happy to be able to pick up four ears for a dollar. In fact, everything I needed for the dish plus groceries to last through the weekend (I hope), cost just under $15. There were some un-pictured cherries in there too, along with cilantro and a mango.
Though I always have ideas for how I’ll do a dish the next time, I was pretty happy with this first attempt!
- 1 can black beans (low sodium), drained and rinsed
- 1 large ear of corn
- 1 tsp or so of olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (I used yellow), diced
- 1 jalepeno, minced
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 small mango, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt to taste
- Salad greens (optional)
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- Remove husk from corn. Rinse. Rub with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil. Roast at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Combine black beans, bell pepper, jalepeno, tomato, green onion, and mango. Add lime juice and salt to taste. Set aside.
- After corn has cooled, remove from husk (hold upright in a bowl and slice downwards with a sharp knife) and pour into salad mix.
- Place salad greens (if using) on a plate and spoon salad on top. Place avocado slices on top. Serve with a side of more roasted corn or perhaps some cornbread or tortilla chips.
Serves 3-4 as a main dish or 5-6 as a side dish.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.