It’s been a while since I’ve shared a soup recipe, but when I posted pictures of this one on Instagram recently, I got so many DMs about it asking for the recipe, so here it is!
I’ve been trying to work more legumes into my life, and one of my favorite ways to do so has been with soup and chili. To amp up the protein a little in this recipe, I used bone broth, but you can make this totally vegan by sticking with water or vegetable broth. I’ve made this with crushed tomatoes and with jarred tomato sauce (Otamot is one I often buy) and both help make this extra creamy, which is what a lot of you guys asked about on IG.
I’ve been bringing this for lunch to enjoy with a side salad a few days a week, but it also makes a cozy dinner for a busy weeknight. You can easily double this recipe so you can stash some in the freezer or feed a crowd.
Red Lentil Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup cubes butternut squash (optional)
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups unsalted chicken bone broth or vegetable broth
- Additional 2-4 cups water or broth if desired
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes or jarred tomato sauce
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat then the sauté garlic, onion, celery, carrot, turmeric, paprika and ginger until the vegetables are soft.
- Add lentils and broth. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer on low, covered, until lentils are tender (about 15-20 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed.
- Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil again and then reduce heat to low. Stir in the spinach. Cover again and simmer for about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I hope you love this! If you make it, post a picture on Instagram and tag me!
Just a note: this post may include a couple affiliate links
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.