I don’t mean to knock dating, but there are a lot really nice things about being single. For example, this morning, when I woke bright and early (but late for me) to a gorgeous morning, I appreciated the beauty of not having to wait ’til you-know-who wakes up to make breakfast. So I made pancakes.
You can make your pancakes from scratch (Heather of Kiss My Broccoli has lots of great pancake recipes), but I keep it simple by using Kodiak Cakes mix—all you do is add water and whatever spices or add-ins you want. The only thing I don’t love about the nutrition stats is the sodium, but in the grand scheme of a balanced day, it’s not terribly high. If you make these, feel free to sub your own pancake mix or recipe.
- 1/3 cup Kodiak Cakes mix
- ~1/4 cup pumpkin plus another 1/4 cup
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ~1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup nonfat ricotta
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 plum, sliced
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce (here’s my recipe)
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup or more to taste
- Combine pancake mix, pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 cup pumpkin, and water in a small mixing bowl.
- Cook pancakes on a heated griddle (aka non-stick pan with cooking spray, as I do not own a griddle)
- Mix ricotta, cinnamon, and the remaining 1/4 cup of pumpkin. You can add a tiny bit of sweetener if you want.
- Spread ricotta mixture between pancakes and on top. Add cranberry sauce.
- Arrange plum on the edge of the plate and the drizzle maple syrup to taste over the whole operation.
- Enjoy while reading the paper and listening to the radio in silence and then take yourself on a walk through the park. Relish not having to listen to someone firing off eighth-morning-after get-to-know-you questions. Do you really want to talk about your family on a lovely autumn morning?
Obviously, when it’s the right person (or the “right for right now” person), a conversation doesn’t feel like facing a firing squad and is, in fact, pleasurable and stimulating (much like other, um, things that are very different when they involve the right person). In that case, these pancakes are also great for sharing, I’m sure : )
What’s your favorite way to enjoy pancakes?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.