Happy Monday. How’s your week starting off? I’m so glad that the conference I was at last week only went through Saturday, as I definitely needed Sunday to recharge and get set up for the week ahead. This one is packed.
It’s amazing what two glasses of wine can do to me now. Sunday morning I needed a few remedies…
Since I had plans for some late-morning Zumba, I didn’t want to eat too early and be starving in the middle of class, but I also didn’t want to feel weighed down by a huge breakfast. So, after running some errands and doing a little food prep for the week, I made a new savory oatmeal concoction that definitely bears repeating. It was the perfect mix of proteins, fats, and carbs to get me through an hour of dancing/laughing at myself.
Black garlic is a fermented product that’s very mild, smooth, and a little sweet. You can eat it spread on bread, blended into sauces, or cooked into all kinds of dishes. It’s a great way to bring together sweet, salty, and umami flavors. I just get mine at Trader Joe’s but if you can’t find it near you, just sub roasted roasted garlic.
For the Black Garlic-Miso Paste:
- I head black garlic
- 1 tsp white or red miso paste
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- a few drops water to thin, if needed
For the Mushrooms:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 4 oz container sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
For the Oats
- 1/3 c rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- a dash of sea salt (optional)
- 2/3 c water
- Whisk together black garlic, miso, sesame oil and water or process in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan or skillet. Sauté shallot until translucent. Add scallion and cook until soft.
- Add shiitakes. Cook until soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the oats, flax, sea salt, and water either in the microwave (~2 minutes) or on the stove until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir a spoonful of the black garlic paste into the oats until incorporated. Top with half the mushroom mixture and a poached egg.
What does two glasses of wine do to you? Any favorite breakfasts lately?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.