Apparently it’s “Nice Cream” and not “Nicecream.” Whoops. I feel old. Stuff like this is why I’m not on the chat snap. Anyway.
The other day I was making Thanksgiving and fall-themed recipes for work projects, but since summer’s not officially over yet (and I can still wear my white sandals for a few more days), I’m slipping in a cold breakfast recipe under the wire because it’s too good to keep to myself.
This nice cream sundae is the perfect way to savor the last days of summer. The pea protein powder gives it a fluffy texture I love, but feel free to use whatever your favorite is. Using slightly less liquid also gives this a thicker texture that’s more like ice cream than a smoothie. I also find that using all frozen fruit and veggies helps with that too. This recipe is loosely based on my Secret-Ingredient Green Smoothie (riced cauliflower being the secret ingredient), but feel free to customize.
I like a little crunch on my smoothies, so I drizzled on a half-teaspoon of coconut oil (it hardens to a Magic Shell-like texture on top) and then added a half-tablespoon of Trader Joe’s super seed & ancient grain mix, plus a pinch of coconut flakes. Aside from adding the texture I crave, these add-ons also provide some healthy fats and fiber—key for staying power through a busy morning.
Nice Cream Breakfast Sundae
- 3/4 – 1 cup water, coconut water, or unsweetened milk of choice
- 1 scoop vanilla pea protein
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/2 a medium or 1 small frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach (or 2 cups raw)
- 1 cup ice (or more if needed)
- Layer ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass or bowl. Garnish with a drizzle of coconut oil, 1/2 tablespoon of chia seeds, and a pinch of coconut flakes.
What’s your favorite late-summer breakfast?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.