As mentioned in an earlier post, both Chris and I have been tweaking the original seitan log recipe we made. This current version is my new favorite—it comes out much moister (hate that world), and the addition of the miso paste lends a fantastic savory flavor. Enjoy!
- 1.5 c. vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 c. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1-2 t. pepper
- 3/4 c. cold water
- 4 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-3 cloves garlic or garlic powder to taste
- 1-2 drops liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for several minutes.
- Form into a log (6-8″ long), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90-100 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.