It took me a while to get into savory breakfast—now it’s the norm on my work-from-home days. I’m always amazed at how our tastebuds adapt over time. Lately, I’ve been obsessed with making chickpea flour pancakes for breakfast.
The brand I’m using lately is Bob’s Red Mill Garbanzo & Fava Bean Flour, and I love the flavor and texture. I usually make one large pancake instead of a few smaller ones, so you could think of it more as gluten-free breakfast pizza if that appeals. It’s super-easy and keeps me full for hours—the pancake alone has 12 grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein.
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- garlic powder to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp water
- oil spray or oil to grease skillet
- Mix flour, baking powder, and spices in a small bowl. Add water and whisk vigorously (~15-20 seconds to get a lot of air into the batter)
- Fold in green onion until mixed.
- Pour batter into heated skillet. Cook 5-6 minutes. Flip and cook another 5-6 minutes.
- Place on a plate and top with whatever strikes your imagination.
I’ve been enjoying mine with leftover roasted veggies and kale, warmed up and mixed with either tahini or hummus. It hits all the right flavor notes and keeps me full for hours!
What’s your favorite breakfast?