As a young teenager, milk-and-cereal bars were one of my go-to breakfast foods. In retrospect, this makes me cringe a little because 150 calories of (mostly) sugar does not sound like an adequate breakfast, but the convenience of it made me feel weirdly adult, like, “Oh look at me—I’m so important and on-the-go.” Glad I got over that one.
As an actual adult who is always busy, if not prone to feelings of importance, convenience is key. Though I’m a big fan of heart make-ahead breakfasts like I shared in this Fit Revue article, as the weather warms but, I’m all about smoothies. Here’s a recipe based on one I developed for General Mills. The balance of protein from the milk and yogurt and fiber from the fruit and cereal will keep you satisfied and energized for hours.
Make-it-a-Meal Cereal Smoothie
Prep Time: 5 minutes / Total Time: 5 minutes
- 6 oz plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ c 1% milk or other milk of choice
- 1 cup ice (optional)
- ½ banana, fresh or frozen
- ½ c frozen berries
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup high-fiber cereal of choice
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- Starting with liquid and ending with spinach, layer ingredients in blender. Cover and blend on HIGH until smooth.
- Pour into a glass or to-go cup and enjoy.
Are you a smoothie fan? What’s your favorite?