So, I totally failed at lapsed-Catholic Lent the other day when I saw that Payless was having a sale on my favorite pumps. With free shipping over $35. Whoops. So much for giving up shopping for 40 days. I made it 13. I had just wrapped up a draft of my first-ever monthly newsletter* and was feeling a little like I needed a reward. Granted, one could do worse than a $40
slip-up reward (aka-two adorable yet walkable pairs of heels), but oh dear. I did a lot less online shopping when I was online dating.
Anyway, sorry I’m not that sorry. Every girl needs a pair of red shoes. And nude shoes—especially if she already has black shoes. Besides, they’re kinda hot for being comfortable. Let’s just keep this our little secret, ok?
Though I don’t generally think we should make a habit of turning to food as a reward, sometimes it can be nice to make ourselves something a little nicer than we would generally eat on an irregular weekday. This mug cake is a great example of something you can make when you want something indulgent (read: moist, fluffy—all those delicious words we love to hate) that will give you a lot of nutritional bang for your buck without a lot of fuss.
- 2 tbsp oat flour (or whatever flour you have)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp coconut milk (or other milk of choice)
- 3 tbsp liquid egg whites or 1 whole egg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- optional: 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp dark chocolate chips
- a few drops stevia or sweetener of choice to taste
- If you’re planning to serve the cake on a plate, just spray the inside of the mug with cooking spray before adding batter for easy removal.
- Mix ingredients in mug or in a separate bowl and then pour into mug.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Enjoy plain or topped with peanut butter, frosting, or anything else that strikes your fancy.
*About that newsletter: If you want to be included, send me an email at info(at)jessicacordingnutrition(dot)com and I will add you to the list. I promise I won’t spam you—I don’t even know how!
What was the last thing you bought? Did you give up anything for Lent? What’s your favorite healthy dessert?