So, I totally failed at lapsed-Catholic Lent the other day when I saw that Payless was having a sale on my favorite pumps. With free shipping over $35. Whoops. So much for giving up shopping for 40 days. I made it 13. I had just wrapped up a draft of my first-ever monthly newsletter* and was feeling a little like I needed a reward. Granted, one could do worse than a $40
slip-up reward (aka-two adorable yet walkable pairs of heels), but oh dear. I did a lot less online shopping when I was online dating.
Anyway, sorry I’m not that sorry. Every girl needs a pair of red shoes. And nude shoes—especially if she already has black shoes. Besides, they’re kinda hot for being comfortable. Let’s just keep this our little secret, ok?
Though I don’t generally think we should make a habit of turning to food as a reward, sometimes it can be nice to make ourselves something a little nicer than we would generally eat on an irregular weekday. This mug cake is a great example of something you can make when you want something indulgent (read: moist, fluffy—all those delicious words we love to hate) that will give you a lot of nutritional bang for your buck without a lot of fuss.
- 2 tbsp oat flour (or whatever flour you have)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp coconut milk (or other milk of choice)
- 3 tbsp liquid egg whites or 1 whole egg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- optional: 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1 tsp dark chocolate chips
- a few drops stevia or sweetener of choice to taste
- If you’re planning to serve the cake on a plate, just spray the inside of the mug with cooking spray before adding batter for easy removal.
- Mix ingredients in mug or in a separate bowl and then pour into mug.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Enjoy plain or topped with peanut butter, frosting, or anything else that strikes your fancy.
*About that newsletter: If you want to be included, send me an email at info(at)jessicacordingnutrition(dot)com and I will add you to the list. I promise I won’t spam you—I don’t even know how!
What was the last thing you bought? Did you give up anything for Lent? What’s your favorite healthy dessert?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.