After seeing a fellow RD’s post on Facebook about Nature’s Path Love Crunch Dark Chocolate & Red Berries granola the other day, I literally stopped what I was doing and decided to whip up my own version. I wanted it that bad.
Google led me to this recipe, so using that as a general guide, I made a baby-batch of granola, something I haven’t done in ages. The only thing I didn’t include was dried fruit, as I didn’t have any.
- 1 c rolled oats
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- cinnamon to taste
- pinch of sea salt
- ~2 tbsp coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp ground flax (because why not?)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey (if you want it sweeter, use more)
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt coconut oil and honey in a microwave-safe bowl (~10-15 seconds). Whisk in cocoa powder and vanilla. Mix in chocolate chips. Melt a few seconds in the microwave if needed.
- In another bowl, mix together oats, coconut, flax, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Add chocolate mixture to oats. Stir to combine. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes. Remove and stir. Put back in oven and back another 15 or 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent burning.
- Allow to cool before pouring into a storage container.
While you could enjoy this for breakfast (serving size is 1/4 cup) with milk (probably great if you want to add fresh berries and nuts, for all you lucky allergy-free folks out there), I think it really shines when used as a garnish to brighten up something simple like plain yogurt with fruit. For those of you who think that’s crazy-RD talk, then hey, how about sprinkling a little over a scoop of ice cream?
What’s your favorite kind of granola?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.