Nothing says, “I tried” on Valentines Day like homemade chocolate-covered strawberries.
I used to make a big deal out of getting Valentines Day “right” when I was younger, either by giving the appropriate amount of a shit, or by making a big show of not giving a shit–only somewhat evolved from making a big show of hating it. Any other Anti-Valentines Day alum out there? I wish someone had told me when I was freaking out about what to write on that stupid card with the stupid cute animal on it when I was 29 that in my 30’s, such things would no longer be worth wasting the energy over. Life is so much easier without the added pressure of observing Hallmark holidays correctly.
Dark chocolate-covered strawberries are delicious any time of year, but they’re the perfect simple-but-festive dessert in this season of all things red and pink and chocolate. All it takes is a few simple ingredients. You can go all out and make them super-fancy with pretty dippings and whatnot, or you can keep them super-basic like I did. That combo of dark chocolate and ripe, sweet strawberries is a match made in heaven. There’s a joke like this about sex and pizza…even when it’s bad, it’s pretty good.
- 1 lb strawberries
- 1 bar dark chocolate (about 2 -3 ounces)
- 2-3 squares white chocolate for garnish
- Melt dark chocolate in the microwave or in a glass bowl over a saucepan of hot water on the stove.
- Spear strawberries with a fork or toothpick and roll in chocolate to coat. Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet and refrigerate about an hour until chocolate hardens.
- Remove berries from the fridge and melt white chocolate. Using a small spoon, drizzle white chocolate over dark chocolate-covered berries. Return to the fridge and allow to sit until white chocolate has hardened.
What’s your favorite Valentines Day treat?