This is a twist on an earlier recipe for carrot cake oatmeal. As someone who spends a lot of time helping people strategize ways to work more vegetables into their diet, I’m always looking for new options. This is rich and chocolatey (and packed with antioxidants) without being overly sweet, but you could add a little maple syrup or other sweetener to brighten it up a bit. On a day you want to cross a serving of vegetables off the list before you even head out the door in the morning, give this a shot.
- 1/3 c oats
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- half a banana, sliced
- 1 carrot, grated or processed in a food processor
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of salt (to bring out the sweetness)
- 1 tbsp nut butter (I used Peanut Butter & Co’s Dark Chocolate Dreams)
- Boil water. Add salt, oats, chia seeds, cocoa, carrot, banana, and stir.
- Lower heat. Break up banana pieces as you continue to stir. Add cinnamon.
- When water is almost completely absorbed, add vanilla and stir another one or two minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and oats are fluffy.
- Pour into a bowl and add nut butter. Top with shredded coconut, chocolate chips, or other topping of your choice, if desired.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.