This was one experiment gone right. I’ve been curious to see how carrots would taste in oatmeal, and after trying this, I can definitely say I’m a fan—their natural sweetness is a no-brainer in this context. It’s also a convenient way to work a little extra veggies into the day.
- 1/4 c steel-cut oats or 1/3 c rolled oats
- 1/5 c water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 a banana, sliced
- 1 carrot, washed and grated or processed in food processor
- ground ginger
- ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil or 1 tbsp coconut milk (optional but delicious)
- 1/4 c cottage cheese (optional)
- Bring water to a boil. Add oats and chia seeds and stir well. Lower heat.
- Add banana and carrot. As oats cook, continuously break up banana pieces and stir well.
- Add spices and mix well.
- Add vanilla about 2 minutes before oats are done (for me, this was around 10 minutes).
- When liquid has been absorbed, add cottage cheese, if using, and stir into oats for another minute.
- Serve with a garnish of shredded coconut, granola, walnuts, or anything else you feel like.
Variations: You can use rolled oats instead of steel-cut as well, but the cooking time may be shorter. Using almond milk in place of water or using half-milk and half-water will give you a creamier bowl without the cottage cheese. Adding raisins during cooking would also be great. I found this bowl sweet enough, but a little maple syrup would add a nice flavor as well.
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.