Once in a while I do something stupid like forget I hate sweet wine then go right ahead and purchase something like Cupcake Vineyard’s Red Velvet wine. I was having one of those days where the girly cliche fit my mood/desire for a good story more than my actual palate. Live and learn. The wine wasn’t bad, just sweeter than my taste.
Since I hate wasting food, I started brainstorming some recipes said sweet-ish wine would be perfect for. It was too cold for sorbet, and the idea of baking a whole freaking cake seemed stupid, as I had no flour, butter or eggs. Besides, not even I would really want to eat a cake I made—baking is not one of my strengths. Sauce, however…sauce, I can do. I just used what I had on hand and was very pleased with the results.
- 1/2 c frozen blueberries
- 1/2 tsp honey (you could use more or skip it)
- pinch of salt
- ~1/4 c red wine (maybe a little less—probably should have measured)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In an oven-safe dish like a ramekin, mix all ingredients except for xanthan gum
- Bake around 20 minutes. Mash the berries down with a fork. Stir in xanthan gum if using to help it thicken.
- Allow to cool before handling. Serve with whatever you damn well please.
I went with steak. And I have to admit, I drank a glass of the wine with my meal and—dare I say—enjoyed it. It’s all about using flavors that complement each other, I suppose…
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.