Happy Monday! What’s on the agenda this week? Sometimes I head into a Monday feeling all optimistic and ready to tackle whatever madness the calendar has in store, and sometimes I want to hit PAUSE. Resisting the urge to front-load the to-do list for the week is tough, but an ongoing learning process.
Monday night dinners tend to be thrown-together affairs since my schedule usually has me out of the house almost 12 hours straight. That doesn’t mean dinner has to suck, though. A little Sunday meal prep can help a lot, but sometimes just mining the fridge and cabinets for last-minute ingredients can yield some pretty great dishes. This is a favorite recent example that’s a perfect one-dish dinner for Meatless Monday.
I like butter beans for this, but it’s also great with chickpeas, white beans, red lentils—whatever you like! This equally delicious hot as it is cold. My personal favorite way to do this is to add hot beans and veggies to the greens and mix it all together with the dressing so the greens get a little wilted and tender without getting mushy.
I also added a garnish of this Trader Joe’s Super Seed & Ancient Grains Blend (~1 teaspoon) for texture and a little “What the heck is that awesome” flavor.
This recipe serves 4, but you can scale up or down to suit your needs.
- 8 cups arugula or other greens
- 1 15-oz can beans, rinsed well (~2 cups cooked beans)
- 1 cup roasted zucchini
- 1 cup roasted cauliflower
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon mild yellow or white miso paste
- Water to thin dressing, if needed
- 4 eggs, fried or poached
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds or mix of nuts/seeds (optional)
- Combine greens, beans, and veggies in a large salad bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together lemon juice, miso paste, tahini, and water (if needed).
- Toss the salad in dressing and allow to sit a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs.
- Divide salad between 4 bowls and top each with an egg and a sprinkle of seed mix.
What’s your favorite easy weeknight dinner?