Good morning and Happy Monday! Can you believe we’re already into the second week of June? Are you sick of posts about healthy summer desserts yet?
This quick and easy concoction only tastes fancy. Added bonus: it happens to be vegan, which is great if you’re whipping up dessert for a crowd that includes a few dairy-free diners. The banana/carb-phobic might have to sit this one out though, as the base it made entirely of frozen bananas.
Affogato (Italian for “drowned”) is a coffee-based beverage that is, essentially, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or gelato, served with a shot of espresso on the side. You might also see it served with liquer such as amaretto (which I am, conveniently, able to tolerate despite my tree-nut problems—cheers to that). You can also add chopped hazelnuts or chocolate shavings if you fancy a little crunch.
This is my mad-scientist take on an “If it ain’t broke…” classic. I hope you enjoy it. It’s quickly become one of my favorites.
- 2 bananas, peeled, halved, and frozen
- 1/4 cup espresso or every strong coffee
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate shavings (optional)
- Process banana in a food processor or blender until it begins to look like soft serve ice cream. Divide into 4 serving cups.
- Whisk together cocoa powder and espresso.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the espresso mixture over each cup and garnish with chocolate.
If you wanted to make a breakfast version of this, you could also add some protein powder to the ice cream and add some chopped nuts on top for an extra boost of protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
What’s your favorite summer dessert?