I’ve been lazy about trying new recipes this fall—usually I just roast a bunch of vegetables on the weekend, make a pot of soup here and there, and live off random egg scrambles, pasta dishes, and unphotogenic bowls of warm stuff. However, after seeing this recipe on Carrots ‘n Cake, I got inspired–shaved brussels sprouts & gruyere? Yes, please!
The only thing was that I wasn’t sure what to eat with a cheesy side dish, mostly because I really don’t like cooking meat at home (monthly filet mignon aside), and fish seemed a weird pairing. Also, I have some mental block against buying breadcrumbs, which the original recipe calls for. My mind went right to eggs, and then, “Hey, what if I mix eggs in the thing?” And then it became egg whites, since you can just pour right from a carton. Sometimes I’m just too freaking busy to want to break any shells.
This smelled amazing cooking, and it tasted even better once it was done. I know that a morning hot yoga class basically makes whatever I eat for lunch taste like the best thing ever, but seriously—why don’t I do this more often? And now I have leftovers. This would make just as good a breakfast or dinner as it did lunch, and I highly recommend you make this ASAP.
- 10 ounces shaved Brussels sprouts
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 pint egg whites
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sautee Brussels sprouts and leeks with garlic and olive oil until bright green. Transfer to an 8″ x 8″ baking dish
- In a separate bowl, combine Gruyere, cheddar, milk, egg whites, and salt, and pepper.
- Pour egg white mixture onto sprouts and leeks and mix.
- Bake for ~30-40 minutes or until top starts to brown. Allow to cool before serving.
So yeah—this was totally worth breaking out of the rut for.
How do you break out of food ruts?
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.