I love this time of year, when we’re in that sweet spot between summer and fall. It’s perfect hair weather in the northeast, and it’s just cool enough to bust out jeans and boots and sweaters but not cold enough to want to hunker down and stay in.
I have a friend who says he loves early fall because everyone is so optimistic about finding their winter boyfriend/girlfriend- like spring fever all over again. People are busy and energized and haven’t called prey to seasonal affective disorder yet.
I mean, I certainly appreciate that the weather is great for drinking whiskey on a date and having it be seasonally appropriate.
I also love the food-we’re still enjoying a lot of fresh produce, but it’s a good time to add in a little fall flavor with root veggies and Brussels sprouts and apples. And figs—perfect this time of year!
This salad is the perfect meal for when your tastebuds can’t decide between summer and fall. Enjoy it as a filling lunch or easy dinner.
Almost-Fall Turkey Burger Salad
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard mustard
- 2 cups arugula or other leafy greens
- 1/2 cup roasted Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup roasted butternut or kabocha squash
- 1 cup sautéed mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- Oil or cooking spray for grill or skillet
- 1 turkey burger burger
- To make dressing, whiskey together olive oil, vinegar, and mustard. Set aside.
- Toss arugula with Brussels sprouts, squash, and mushrooms.
- Toss salad with dressing until well coated. Transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, grease skillet or grill pan. Cook turkey burger to desired doneness.
Top burger with blue cheese and place over salad.
Variations: You can totally make this with another type of burger.
What are your favorite fall foods?
***This post may contain affiliate links
Hungry for more?
Subscribe to get the latest nutrition information, self-care strategies, and healthy living tips delivered right to your inbox.